Saturday, November 29, 2014

MY KITTY CAT BAXTERBOY

MY KITTY CAT BAXTERBOY


I was not planning to write about my cat, Baxterboy today. It just happened. I woke up in the middle of the night crying, calling Baxter's name... It took Gary some time to make me understand it was just a bad dream. "It is not just a bad dream," I persisted...

I lost Baxter 5 years ago. He was my faithful friend through all his 8 year long life. How many really faithful friends do I have left?

I met him in a shelter with 7 other identical kittens. I chose him, because he was not too playful and not too shy. In a way, he had accepted his life for "It is, what it is. Whether you like me or not, this is me!" 

When we took him to the vet, I gave him the name Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. The vet said, "It is a girl!" The next day, during the more "comprehensive" exam, the vet changed his mind. Hmm... Sofia became Baxter?! The gender really did not matter to me, Sofia Coleman, became Baxter Coleman. 

Baxter was named after the top guard of the University of Maryland basketball team. In 2002, the team won the NCAA championship. Loni Baxter played a vital role in the win.

Similarly, Baxter Coleman played a vital role in my life.

Baxter had a very happy life being a Coleman. He had good appetite, good hygiene habits, and interesting personality. He was a 'ladies' man'. Baxter liked all women coming to the house, but when a man tried to play with him, even with the intentions of petting and feeding him, he would growl and hiss. His feelings were out there; he was wearing them on his short legs. 

"I would very much appreciate it, if you leave me alone and mind your business. You may like me, but I have no intentions to reciprocate!" This message was delivered every time a man was trying to be friendly.

He loved his father, but even Gary was not safe. Baxter would throw temper tantrums. No educational methods worked. I tried.

I was very proud of his bilingual skills. He was capable to pick up Bulgarian words as if this was his native language. If people only knew what we were talking behind their backs...

Find me if you can...
Once, we needed to go on vacation. Baxter was boarded at the Vet Hospital. I was calling every day from Europe to see how he was doing. Every time, the office reassured me he was doing great. On our return, we went to pick him up as soon as the building opened.

Time came to learn the truth. Baxter was terrorizing all the dogs trying to "bark" as loud as them. In addition, he was making his body look as big as theirs. This was not very difficult to be done--Baxterboy was not a tiny boy; he was a little chubby... He made the staff anxious without attacking anyone. As a mother, I knew why he was doing all this "bullying." He was miserable and a little pissed off to be with everybody but his family.

When he heard my voice, he became as quiet as a mouse and gave me a big "meow" hug. We drove home. Everyone had his own way of feeling happy.

Baxter's life took a turn for the worse when I got sick. He was the cat who saw my seizures, right in front of his eyes; he saw ambulances; he was covered with blankets to prevent the EMTs from doing their work. There was noise, people running around the house, chaos.

I was told all of this later. I was unconscious, but a big, furry ball in the laundry room was listening and worrying if he would have his Mommy back. I am sure he was thinking how in the world he could love me, but be unable to help me...  

We all wonder about this when someone in the family gets sick...

When I came home from the numerous hospitals, I was half the person Baxterboy knew. 

Somehow, we recognized each other.

Sadly, Baxter was born with a congenital kidney disease. His kidneys were not fully functioning. It was his turn to go through treatments and mine--to worry and cry. He was quietly laying on my lap, barely moving his butt upstairs to sleep in my feet. He knew and I knew, we do not have much time left to be together.

Baxterboy loved flowers (like me and his Daddy.) The impatiens picture is taken in his favorite hanging out area. He stayed there for hours.

Peek - a -boo!



No comments:

Post a Comment