Tuesday, April 1, 2014

CULTURE SHOCK (part 2)

CULTURE SHOCK (part 2)
Picture by Frank Bryan

Transitioning from the Honeymoon stage to the Negotiation stage is the most complex time of immigration. I realized I was in this noisy unfamiliar crowd from which I could not leave. The one - way ticket was used. Remnants from the honeymoon stage were occurring from time to time, but they were only a geographic reminder of being alone in the new world. It felt cold, very cold. Is it ever going to get warmer?

The Negotiation stage was the time I was trying to convince myself, "I know it is not OK, but take it easy; stay cool! It will get better!"

The Wikipedia teaches that during this stage "the differences between the old and new culture become apparent..." Meeting new people, being in a new place, can really drive a person out of balance. The thought, "what have I gotten myself and my child into?" crawled in only to create additional psychological obstacles to the communication with the outside world.

When I started graduate school, Frostburg's accent/language met the English one from Bulgaria. It was time to negotiate. The linguistic blunders, the intonation, facial expressions, were not always the way they were supposed to be. It was more than noticeable.

To make matters worse, at that time there was barely any support for international students. Naturally, the internationals were leaning on each other more than connecting with the other students. They could easily find the beer bar - next to campus, and the laundromat - next to the bar. But help was needed for banks, transportation, shopping, everything...

My daughter attended high school in Frostburg. Her attempts to explain where Bulgaria  was on the map of the world did not get much attention. Bullying for the way you talk, you dress, you eat was an essential part of her life. I could never explain to her why it was "the law" of the American land to eat a hot dog on a hot dog roll; why it was a "No No" to eat hot dog on a slice of bread. All I knew is that she became the butt of a joke when she was "caught" eating lunch her way.

 I could only wipe her tears.

Maybe, that explains her being a vegetarian these days. She never eats hot dogs; she never eats rolls. Bread remains her favorite. 

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. You again bring smile and tears at the same time. Simply love your style of making memories come to life :))))

    ReplyDelete