Thursday, July 24, 2014

LOOK, STORKS!

LOOK, STORKS!

Fresh picture taken by G. Coleman
I had not seen any storks  since I immigrated from Bulgaria to USA 22 years ago. One of my older blog posts was about wearing a martenitsa -- a pure Bulgarian tradition. True to the tradition, I also have martenitsa hanging on a tree in my little yard. Spring came, then summer started... It is way past the time to take off the martenitsa from the birch tree. There is no doubt what so ever winter is gone... It is 80 degrees out. True, but the martenitsa is peaking sadly from behind the leaves and reminding me of being a child many years ago. I am waiting to see a stork....

Then, a miracle occurred. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Stork during our trip in Bulgaria. Upon my return to USA, I gleefully took the old martenitsa down. On next March first, a new one will be hanging on the tree, along with the new expectations for love, happiness and health for all of us.

In many mythologies the stork is a symbol of prosperity, fertility, commitment in marriage. It is not just a big bird; it is a creature of significance for everyone's life. 

There are many storks in Bulgaria this summer (I was told). I met The Storks on the way to the Black Sea. Standing in all their glory in their big nest, completely unperturbed by the cars driving on the highway. 

I never thought there was a chance to meet The Storks right there, on top of an electrical pole. "Here you are! Sitting all pretty, while I have been waiting for you in USA. Hi, there!"  

Suddenly, Monday's driving to the Black Sea got very exciting. Even with a guide like my brother-in-law, who is a real history buff and story teller, there was not much to catch the eye. There were not even enough bad drivers. He saw The Storks first. I was more excited that the 9-year old in the car. The car stopped; pictures were taken. Not only did I see storks, I remembered how important they were in my childhood. What does Santa do? Santa brings presents. The stork brought the neighbors' boy. There is no place for comparison.

Pic courtesy of njaj/Digitalphotos.com
When you think about it, it is not a bad cop out for parents to use the stork as a sub for serious conversations about love and babies and sex. Even nowadays, there are celebration cards with a stork when a baby is born in a family. 

After we passed The Storks the conversation started in my head. I had to look into their life more when back in USA. 

The long legs, black and white wings, long necks, and bills, making a strange clattering noise.... My relative focused on what he thought I had to remember first: "The storks build big nests and return to the same nest every year." He continued, "they are monogamous; they do not change nests or partners.

Well, this may, or may not be completely true, per Wikipedia, but I will trust my relative. He cannot be convinced that "may" is sufficient proof for birds infidelity after migration.  

How can storks play such an important role in mythology if they do not possess the value to be faithful to their partner? If I discover this, I will fire them in a minute. There are many birds waiting to take their important job.

I will finish this post with an Aasop's fable, which my babysitter used to read to me as a child. It was one of my favorite. She was a good reader, too. I still enjoy it. 

There is moral to every story....











No comments:

Post a Comment