Saturday, August 15, 2015

THE WOMAN & THE HORSE


This is one of those posts where I start with the idea to show some of my pictures on a horse. Then, I get myself more and more interested into a conversation about horses, cutting horses, rodeos, riding and more.

Having relatives who live in the West is one thing, but having horses as an integral part of the family is a different story. Visiting both groups this summer made me think more about humans and animals. The humans are easier to understand. They talk; they laugh and cry; they look at each other; the kids play, make noises of all nature -- all familiar actions.

The horses are a different group. They don't talk; they don't have to talk. Winston Churchill said it best: "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man." Their effect on your whole being is infinitely powerful. I had seen horses before. Why now? What is the big deal? This is what I believe happened. I felt their power and strength, their ability -- not like the barking of a dog, or meowing of a cat -- to speechlessly put me gently in the place we both wanted to be. 

They impress me physically with their obvious domination and  superiority. The hooves are bigger than my feet. At the same time, their thin, delicate legs carry big muscular bodies. The flowing against the wind big mane -- women are trying to imitate this movement with their hair so hard. Every horse body muscle is a working muscle. We, the humans in the gym, still discover the existence of underdeveloped new muscles. And this tail, the movement of the head....

The eyes of the horses are larger than those of any land mammal. I did some research on the eyes. Afterall, they are the window to the soul. I wasn't sure how to look and talk to a horse. With dogs and cats, I was an expert. I was their "whisperer." Not so with horses. Where does the horse look? The eyes of the horse are situated on both sides of the head. They are lateral-eyed. This allows them to have a range of vision of about 350 degrees, 65 degrees of this is binocular and the remaining, 285 degrees, are monocular.  There are still two "blind spots" -- in front of the face and right behind its head. The role of the trainer and rider is of major importance to help with this vision problem. It ensures the raising, or lowering the position of the head, depending on what the horse needs to see.

The horse, I show you above, is Diamond, 17-year old mare, cutting horse, owned by my family member. 

What are "cutting horses"? Cutting horses are a popular sport in the American West. It originated in this part of the country. The job of the horse was to separate the cow from the cattle herd for a certain amount of time. It was done mostly for medical reasons. As time went by, the best riders and the best cutting horses started their competition. This is how a sport was born; universal rules and regulations were developed; an organization was established. When there is sports, there is entertainment. When there are horses, you will see a rodeo. 

Usually, the horses participating in a cutting horses competition are not thoroughbreds -- they are the American Quarter Horses. The cows "play" themselves - cows, who want to go back to their herd. In this sporting event, the rider and the horse are fast, with a good sense for maneuvering, riding and anticipating any move the cow will make. The most important job is done by the horse. The "cow instinct" gets a horse and rider further in the game.

Who is The American Quarter Horse? This is a horse breed known for his running faster than other horses in short distances. According to Wikipedia,"this horse can reach a speed of up to 55 mph (88.5 km/h.) The horse is great not only for cutting, but also for all rodeo events, such as racing, calf roping, barrel racing. From a ranch, family horse, this horse has developed to the level of an export around the world. The American Quarter Horse is the most popular breed in the USA today.

This is how it all started in the Wild West -- with the ranch horses and the rodeos. Simple interaction between humans and animals. Cowboys and cowgirls, gentle horse spirit, gentle human souls...

I planned getting on a horse for years. Diseases have prevented me from doing it. Riding is out of question. But the desire to get on a horse, touch him, feel his energy, silently pray for peace, health and happiness --it was all there. This dream came true with the help of a wonderful man, a member of my Western family. He just put this gorgeous saddle on Diamond, took her for a short walk to get her ready. I did not want to jump from joy. My legs were the sick ones. My head, which causes all my other problems was not feeling the pain. It was waiting for a new type of therapy. Diamond was waiting, too - patiently, all dressed up.



The moment came. I was thinking only about this horn of the saddle. Hold it, hold it tight! Ready? Get on! Left leg up!


My body is on Diamond. Right leg on!


Now, feel the freedom! Breathe! Imagine you are riding and noone can stop you. It is just imaginary, but so much fun. Diamond did not know my diseases. She just showed love and gave it all to me.



I was ashamed to cry and to thank everyone. I was just happy.


What Western story will end without Johnny Cash....













2 comments:

  1. Страхотно преживяване, страхотно е описано

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I hope there is life ahead to experience this joy again.

    ReplyDelete