Sunday, January 26, 2014

IN THE ELEVATOR

                                                   IN THE ELEVATOR

Imagine you are in a big hospital elevator. It was a warm weekend. Families and friends have come to see their sick ones in the hospital. Gary was pushing my wheelchair towards the elevator. There was so much fun ahead of me. People everywhere… When the elevator stopped, Gary wheeled me in very cautiously. There were many people already in – some looked like patients, some were visitors. Everyone moved to the back to create enough space for my wheelchair. Rules are pretty clear on how to position the wheelchair. It has to face the elevator door. Gary was not entirely prepared to move the chair. In his defense, he did not expect such a crowd. He swirled so that I was facing the door. 

All of a sudden, I was given the leading position. Being a leader carries its responsibilities. No one but me was close enough to push the button for the floor we were all getting off – the first floor.

Gary did not leave this important decision in my hands. He said, “Push the first floor button.” I already had my mind set on pushing not just the first floor, but all the available buttons. I heard people hustling behind me, whispering something.

Honestly, I wanted to put them at ease. So, I said, “Don’t mind me, I am a mental patient!” It did not take long for everyone to make a decision. On the first stop of the elevator, everyone rushed out as quickly as they could. I may have used the wrong word.

1 comment: