Saturday, January 25, 2014

THE BRACELET



THE BRACELET

Eight years ago, I was lying in a hospital bed fighting for a new chance at life after a brain infection tried to take it away. As every woman, I love presents. However, there isn’t much you can bring to someone who cannot walk, talk, or eat normal food.  The present they need is life.

I was getting better and better day by day. As time was approaching for me to be released from the hospital, my husband appeared with a little present. My head was not working right, but the neurons connected strongly enough to draw the conclusion that this was, in deed, a present. My head started spinning. What could it be? He was going to work before coming to see me. It was taking him two hours to come back from work to the hospital. He was too worried for my life; shopping was the last thing on his mind. But, every hospital  has a little gift shop. When I opened the box, I saw an elegant bracelet. He put it on my wrist. It was the most exquisite diamond look-alike/cubic zirconia bracelet. He was trying to cheer me up. And it worked.

For many years now, for various occasions, I have been getting jewelry for a present. I keep it neatly organized in my bedroom. There is a special drawer with costume jewelry, which no one can identify as 'costume'. Such a good copycat!

When I dress up for a special occasion and time comes for the accessories, I somehow always reach for the box with the diamond look-alike bracelet. No diamonds, no gold, no precious stones, no custom-made 50 year-old designs can measure up to the 5 dollar cubic zirconia bracelet from the hospital gift shop. I don’t know what I will wear, if I can't find this bracelet in the drawer.      

No comments:

Post a Comment