Thursday, March 20, 2014

COMING TO AMERICA (part 3)

Picture by Frank Bryan
                         COMING TO AMERICA (part 3)

Frostburg State University
Writing this section of my blog is extremely difficult. The memories bring more tears  than happiness. 

The deeper we got into the new way of life in America, the more we learned about it; the life plans changed and adjusted, then adjusted and changed over and over. 

Coming to America is quite different from the emigration to Europe. In 1992 and later, when Bulgaria entered the European Union, I did not hear stories from friends about their hard life during immigration. Maybe, they did not want to talk about it. Everything had to be kept a secret. This is one of our national traits. Kind of "whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," only this is not about gambling and drinking. Over time, I realized that keeping secrets defied logic. Sooner or later, in every organization, including the family, a weak link appears. Then comes the realization so much time was wasted not sharing ....

I ask myself many questions, that's my natures. "Why didn't I ask for help when I was hungry? Why all of this immigration life was a secret for so many years?" The answer comes back to me always the same -- I did not want to connect with the past, to show weakness, hopelessness, failure. How many around you talk about their failures?

In 1993, I was accepted in the MBA program at Frostburg State University. Frostburg is situated in Western Maryland; the climate is chilly, but people are not chilly. 1994 was the coldest year in the history of the city. That must have been our luck. The coldest temperature maximum was -21degrees F (-29 degrees C); the total snowfall was 50.6 inches. Frostburg was for me a symbol of the American life in the small, low income part of America. In the little, old, coal mining town with about 9,000 population, I found the University, where there were no other Bulgarians. Out of over 5,000 students, no Bulgarians.... I was the first to discover it! I also became the bread winner of the family with my part-time job as a research assistant. 

My daughter went to the only high school - Frostburg High School. She was an excellent student, there was no need for any help with homework or any modern form of punishment. She was not going anywhere, no one showed any interest in a foreign girl from unknown country. I was also one of the few foreign students at the MBA program. Being different did not attract any attention, but my different way of thinking and antics were helping. This made me a little hip. And I was not even trying.

We lived in a shabby apartment, barely furnished. We had two mattresses, a little TV we took from the trash and a computer (from the school trash). My daughter was sitting on a broken speaker to study; we had no chairs. I was using the school library for papers, requiring a PC. Luckily, technology had not conquered the world that fast. Paper and pencil were still in use.

The worst part of living in Frostburg was the cold. There were so many snow days, when school was not closed. My daughter will try to walk in the snow alone in the days in which I was at school. Most of the times, I was able to pick her up and the two of us were walking trough the deep snow home.

My classes were mostly in the evening. On the way to school -uphill and downhill, on the way back - the same... I am not sure what scared me more - the darkness in this tiny path, or the big dog in one of the houses closeby.  I always felt one of these nights, when the dog was very hungry, he would break off the  chains and would have me for dinner.

 What happened in Frostburg briefly was: The Redskins arrived in the summer of 1995 choosing the city as their training camp. This was the most exciting event for the last 100 years. Next, my daughter graduated high school at 16; then, the parents were all through with their diplomas, degrees and board exams.

The Best Part - we won the Green Card Lottery! It became clear soon thereafter that  the 16-year old would go to Georgetown University - somehow financially this had to happen, while the adults needed to do what they had to do - find jobs and a place to live.

With the broken Nissan, putting in everything we had, we drove back to Washington, D.C.  There was so much done and so much waiting to be done.  The success outweighed the failures.

Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. Pic. by G. Coleman

1 comment:

  1. touching, heart-wrecking - we all hard times during that period, but at least we had homes and a family around

    ReplyDelete