Sunday, March 9, 2014

MY PRECIOUS BAG

                
                                                   
                                                            MY PRECIOUS BAG

The line between acting brave and acting stupid is very thin. Looking back, I am inclined to think I was stupid that day. Not that I put my life at a huge risk in the early morning of a working day. Still, it was not a rush hour, crimes occur any time of the day. 

I was walking back from the doctor's office to my office building. As I approached the bus stop, I saw three men waiting for the bus. They were siting on a bench. One of them jumped in front of me unexpectedly. He pulled my bag from my shoulder. 

As all women know, we love our bags. We have everything possible in our bags. Any change to a new one causes huge turmoil in our lives. It is a disaster, it is a tsunami. It takes for ever to remember in what pocket are some of these items: the cell phone, the lipstick, the lip gloss, the hairbrush, the makeup, the credit cards, some cash, the keys, some meds (in case someone drives you crazy and you get a headache), more meds (if you have my disease.) If the office has a gym, a woman may have her sneakers, sports outfit. I do not want to disclose more secrets....There may be more "stuff" in there. You can see a relatively little bag on the outside, but if [God forbid] a woman drops it on the floor, your eyes will pop out.

I loved this wicker bag. The bag loved me, too. It was not expensive, but extremely reliable and well organized. I had it for years. Always there... on my left shoulder. I pulled back swiftly. My head was spinning. I had forgotten my watch. Everything I had was in the bag

There was no one on the street. I could not profile the man as a huge criminal, but he reached for his back pocket. You never know what is in the back pocket of someone who is trying to rob a woman on the street. Somehow, this did not scare me to the point of screaming for help. No, no... I took the matter in my hands. I said this is a voice which could scare a bear, "Do you know who you are dealing with?" Then, there was a pause. The guy seemed confused, while I was getting stronger and bigger. So I said what he definitely did not expect, "You stupid co*****er!" He stood like a dunce, while his buddies were sitting on the bus bench laughing hysterically.

I turned around and continued to walk to the office. I was still hearing the voices behind. 

Time came for me to panic. I called my office; explained what happened. Everyone was very concerned how I was doing. I had a feeling I was scared, too. 

Why did I do it? What if the man was desperate enough to rob me and run, or even have a knife, a gun in his pocket? The bag could have been the reason for my meaningless injury. 

I do not think my reaction will be different, if it were to happen today. I would make sure I have a wrist watch, this is the only difference. But my bag is my bag!


2 comments:

  1. Беше ми я разказвала тази история - чаках да я опишеш. На мен, обаче, ми я беше разказала далеч по-цветущо :P

    ReplyDelete