Friday, May 30, 2014

MY MATH TEACHER - Mancho Nenchev




MY MATH TEACHER - MANCHO NENCHEV

Everyone has a favorite teacher from High School -- the one, who deserves credit, or be blamed for the human/math being I have become; the one who was simply the BEST. 

Everyone wants to believe (at least I do) that it is my unique math aptitude, which served as a premise for his encouragement and motivational words. 

It has been many and many years since I was in High School.... I suffered from a brain infection, which left me with seizures. But, no matter how much brain is in my head, there is still a reserved space for the teacher from whom I learned the most. It is not just maths he taught. Mancho Nenchev was bigger than maths. In fact, the math lessons are gone, I do not remember much; sadly, Mancho passed away several years ago, too. But he left behind the Art of Teaching. 

I will not call him Mr. Nenchev, he will not forgive me this grandiose language, he will always remain in my heart as бай Маньо (in Bulgarian.) 

As if it was yesterday, I see him walking between the rows of desks talking to us and sometimes singing. You must really enjoy what you do to sing in class. I was so fortunate; the song he loved the most was bearing my name. As one classmate put it recently, the song "Imala Mariana" was "the hallmark song of his, with you in it." This song was very popular at the time; it was performed by one of the most famous singers; it had some jingle rhythm. "Imala Mariana" is a happy, jovile song.

In the song, Mariana had a big, good heart and a hat with a feather. While walking through the little town, she met a boy. They said "hi" to each other. The boy asked if she would give him the feather, but Mariana started laughing. She laughed so hard that her hat fell. Then, she "negotiated" to give the boy the feather, but get his heart in exchange. And the boy surrendered. He gave her his heart. 

This is a free translation. All you -- teachers and poets, please let me have this song my way. Afterall, the song has my name on it.

By the end of the song, the math problems were solved; the new lesson was taught. Everything was smooth and easy-going.

I visited Bulgaria 4 years ago. It was my birthday. The family had decided to celebrate it in a nice folk restaurant with live music, folk dances and fantastic food. When the singer came to our table to ask me what song I would like her to sing for me, I answered right away "Imala Mariana." But, she wanted to play another birthday song, more appropriate for today's times.

I was disappointed. It felt like my time had passed away. "Imala Mariana", with бай Маньо singing it, had passed away, too. 

What is left is the BIG heart of a BIG Teacher. It will beat with his students' hearts. Chi-chi-chi-la-la-la....




Blog disclaimer: The content of the blog post is based on current interpretation of events, which may have occurred in the past. What I write on my blog is not to be taken as fact nor absolute. No harm intended.


2 comments:

  1. I will always remember him. A charming person. I was never ever been examined in his classеs. My name is Ivan Kitin. I graduated in 1973.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Иване. Не знам кой език е по-добре да използвам за да ти отговоря. Не съм била на този блог доста време, ама като отида там винаги гледам кой е най посещавания. Винаги си остава Бат Манчо. Добра душа и добър учител.

    ReplyDelete